- 2 Clear 16 oz water bottles
- Food coloring
- Vegetable oil
- Flashlight (optional)
What To Do:
- Fill water bottles with vegetable oil.
- Add different drops of food coloring to water
- Add water colored mixture slowly to the water bottles.
- Use the flashlight to illuminate the colors in the oil.
- Shake the bottle to attempt to mix oil and set it down and wait for the oil and water to seperate*
Location and Appropriate Age Group:
- This demonstration is better when done inside where lights can be turned off, to better view the colors.
- This demonstration works better for younger age groups (ages 5-7). It can be used for older students as well if paired with a density discussion.
How It Works:
- The food coloring and water mixture forms beads when mixed into the vegetable oil, and sinks to the bottom. This is because the water is more dense than the oil and therefore will always sink.